Marriage is a very important topic and I have written a lot of articles related to marriage. I believe marriage is often misunderstood and I believe a lot of separations and divorces would be avoided if people understood marriage and the principles I present in these writings.
I cannot fail to mention that marriage was designed by God. It is a gift He has given us. It is clearly defined and described in the Bible. Marriage is clearly defined as an important covenant between a man and a woman. It is only to be between Christians (2 Corinthians 6:14). Sex is not allowed outside of marriage (Hebrews 13:4). Marriage is to last until death (Romans 7:2) but if there is infidelity, one is permitted to divorce (Matthew 5:32). Marriage is not required of all of us but the Bible makes it clear that it's a blessing. Some people have a "gift" in remaining single, “but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion (1 Corinthians 7:9).“And the LORD God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”
- Genesis 2:18-19“And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”
- Matthew 19:4-6
Please take the time to read these related articles on the right and let me know if they improve your marriage (or your concept of marriage).
SOME SUGGESTED READING:
* God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation (Crossway, 2004) by Andreas J. Köstenberger and David W. Jones
* Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace (Crossway, 2006) by Gary and Betsy Ricucci
* Sacred Marriage (Zondervan, 2000) by Gary Thomas
* A Celebration of Sex: A Guide to Enjoying God’s Gift of Sexual Intimacy (Thomas Nelson, 2002) by Douglas E. Rosenau
* Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know (Crossway, 2004) by C. J. Mahaney (for men)
* Intimate Issues: 21 Questions Christian Women Ask About Sex (WaterBrook Press, 1999) by Linda Dillow and Lorraine Pintus (for women)
* Practicing Hospitality: The Joy of Serving Others (Crossway, 2007) by Patricia A. Ennis and Lisa Tatlock
* Shepherding a Child’s Heart (Shepherd Press, 1995) by Tedd Tripp
* Grace-Based Parenting (Thomas Nelson, 2005) by Tim Kimmel
* Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (P & R, 2001) by Paul David Tripp
* Girl Talk: Mother-Daughter Conversations on Biblical Womanhood (Crossway, 2005) by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Mahaney Whitacre
* How and When to Tell Your Kids About Sex: A Lifelong Approach to Shaping Your Child’s Sexual Character (NavPress, 2007) by Stan and Brenna Jones
* Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother (Crossway, 2004) by Carolyn Mahaney
* Disciplines of a Godly Man (Crossway, 2006) by R. Kent Hughes
© Todd Tyszka
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way, you do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction, you do not make more than 500 physical copies, and you include the following statement on any distributed copy:
From Todd Tyszka. © Todd Tyszka. Website: www.toddtyszka.com. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For web posting, a link to this document on our website is required. Any exceptions to the above must be formally approved by Todd Tyszka.